-
October 10th, 2001, 09:48 PM
#1
Inactive Member
Just had the first proper bit of information about the 24 hour film challenge i will be doing on saturday- i will be given full details on friday night- but basically the public get to choose a location, a prop and a costume for our film (there will be a team of 4 people- one who i usually work with, one who worked on the last film and one who i dont know at all)
the choice of location the public will choose from are as follows:
A pocket
Inside a camera
Left of centre
The prop is either:
a chess set
A pillow
A weighty book
And finally the costume:
A wedding dress
A brigadier guard
Lots of socks
I have to help make a film out of their choices in 24 hours to present on sunday evening- to a paying auidence. (not just for my film- it's the last night of the festival)
I think they want something arty, conceptial, pretentious, that will be fun to make. Any ideas- I have a few.
Something like two people playing chess- one has a big bulge in their pocket- and the other says- 'is that a mobile in your pocket or are you pleased to be playing chess' There will be some nice macro shots of the chess pieces and the contrast of black and white with a little bit of smoke clouding the air. There is a build up of strange noises intercut with a shot of socks massing together inside a pocket and then suddenly the bulge bursts and all the socks come shooting out across the chess set, knocking the pieces flying.
Well obviously that idea will take a lot of beating- anyone else got any clues- it's supossed to be 3-5 minutes long, shooting on DV- fulll sized I think.
cheers
k
------------------
-
October 11th, 2001, 01:32 AM
#2
Inactive Member
A chess set with socks on the pieces all inside a big pocket?
Sorry Kath, I'm not good in this kid of stuff.
------------------
*Sneaks up behind Generic and smacks the back of his bald head with a traffic cone*
-
October 11th, 2001, 11:28 AM
#3
Inactive Member
Cheers anyway T. You gotta pick one thing from each of the 3 sections- prop, costum and location and somehow make a film around it. On the day the public will have picked them for us, so it's not so easy to plan ahead-
k
------------------
-
October 11th, 2001, 12:18 PM
#4
Inactive Member
Here comes bod with a stawberry milkshake.
I think they'll pick
left of centre, a chess set and maybe the
wedding dress.
You could have an arty shot of a chess
piece and someone far away in the dress
so they are the same size. Change focus
from one to the other. Then show how the
girl in the dress is not the queen but
just a pawn. At the end she plays the last
move makes check mate and now she is the
one controling the game.
Or some other arty stuff like that...
andy
------------------
andy winton
(www.wintonfilms.co.uk)
-
October 11th, 2001, 12:33 PM
#5
Inactive Member
Do you get to choose your own cast if so, work it that way
as it is something yu can plan.
for ease of example, 2 characters called sid and nancy, sid
and nancy are like Posh and becks but a lot more angrier..
build up really strong characters, work out ther
ebackground etc etc,
for ease of example, 2 characters called sid and nancy, sid
and nancy are like Posh and becks but a lot more angrier..
then think of a few situations that is non location
dependant
ie like Paying a bill, or a bout to die, or pregnancy etc
etc
then when you find out what your costume and props are etc,
you cna build them in
for example
INT:INSIDE CAMERA
we see two characters Sid and Nancy, Nancy is dressed in
lots of socks, sid is dressed normally he pcaes up the room
SID:
Are you seriously trying to tell me
that all you packed were socks
Nancy:
Well how the hell was i supposed to know
what to bring, ive never been in a camera before
anyway what does it matter now were all going to die
anyway
SID:
well if you had packed somethign more than socks and
something useful like food then we wouldnt be starving now
would we
NAncy:
oh thats right blame me, it was yoru idea in the first
place to come here
SID:
well you said you wanted to go somewhere picturesque, if
you had paid the bills on time then
NANCY:
there you go blaming me again, suppose its my fault im
pregnant as well
etc etc etc
or you get thrown a different location costuem etc then
keep teh characters and the situations so maybe
INT:Pocket
we see two characters called sid and nancy, sid is dressed in A brigadier guard uniform, Nancy is dressed normally they sit huddled round a chess board
SID:
You did have to choose Chess didnt you
NANCY:
Well it is traditional isnt it Sid ?
SID:
I know that but you could of least chose somethign iam good at, ive never played chess in my life
NANCY:
What you and thr girm reaper sitting there with your gameboys linked up playing pokeman ? what would ingrad bergman say.
SID:
I just think as wer eplaying for our lives we should of gone for something we had a chance of winnign at
NANCY:
An we would really live that down wouldnt we, i can jsut see it front page of Vogue, we would be a laughing wreck , anyway whats with the uniform
SID:
well you said be in your guard,
NANCY:
i said ON your guard, if you ahd paid the bills on time we would never be in the mss in the first place
etc etc ect ect
shot wise stick with what you know....
Chance
www.5ylac.s5.com
-
October 11th, 2001, 02:24 PM
#6
Pryce
Guest
K, for my 2 euro cents worth here is another angle..
I personally like the wedding idea.
Vicar holding weighty book as he reads the wedding service
Woman in Wedding Dress
To the Left of Centre is the Best Man!
There, you have all your requisits, now the main theme could be anything:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> when the vicar says "...does anyone here present..." a man shouts out "THE GROOME IS BY BOYFRIEND!"
<LI> The best man turns out to be the ex-husband of the Bride
<LI> it could all turn out to be a dream
<LI> I also like the idea of the Bride and Groome being the King and Queen from the Chess Set
<LI> Perhaps on the wedding Picture they could all have flourescent yellow socks and the photographer falls over dropping his camera... X.C.U shot of camera opening and film falling out
<LI> Perhaps the best man could fumble around for the ring.... X.C.U shot of Pocket
<LI> Perhaps the Page Boy is sick all over... oops sorry about that... wrong thread! (this one's for you chatterbox)
<LI> The center isle of the church could be black and white marble tiles (like a chessboard? yes - I thought you got that already)
[/list]
Hope it helps - tell us how you get on I'm interested.
Pryce
------------------
Pryce
http://prycejones.com/film/
-
October 11th, 2001, 04:55 PM
#7
Inactive Member
Ohh- some cool, inspiring ideas from you lot. Groovy. My mum has dug up an old concertinaed camera- that we can ?get inside? so we could somehow do a shot of going inside it, looking out of it- and use a dark room with a slit of light to be inside it. The other idea I had is that it?s the last day of Hull fair (or should that be moon fair) and it would be topical to use it as a location.
Left of centre- well you might be after a wiz on the waltzers.
Inside a camera- the hall of mirrors?
Inside a pocket- plenty of pick pockets at fair
Somehow write the props and costumes into it- well you get all sorts of weirdos at the fair. How about some people getting married on the bungee jump ride? That could be pretty funky- and they could be playing chess at the same time. I know you can buy a video of the ride- I?m not sure if it is pre recorded- I guess it is. I also like the idea of trying to write every location, prop and costume into the film. But it?s a bit complicated with the time thing.
The festival it?s in is a new one, apparently when they do it again next year (if they do) there will be more than one team- but this time it is just us- which is a little odd. Kind of a personal challenge I guess.
BTW my friends computer is finely edited and after a few minor problems with a Mac (I think a driver got deleted by mistake) we managed to cobble together a half decent rough cut to show tonight on his computer. My first film will also be showing, so fingers crossed on that one. I think it?s just a small event- but I thought that last night and it was packed out. I didn?t think people in Hull cared about short films- well I guess not that many turned up, mostly students really.
Anyway I better go get into a friendly networking type mood, never know who I might bump into,
Kathy
PS Chance- you aren?t paid to write silly scripts for other people. Though it was funny, and I?m only jealous that you are actually getting paid to write silly bits and I?m not.
PPS- Chatterbox- I?ve no idea- how?
------------------
-
October 12th, 2001, 03:06 AM
#8
Inactive Member
Hi Kathy,
Sounds like a challenge! I don't have any specific story ideas, just some things to get you going according to which items get chosen:
A pocket - What kind of pocket - could it be like an enclave or oasis or is it a jacket pocket?
Inside a camera - giant eye staring in
Left of centre - standing on your left leg only
The prop is either:
a chess set - chess pieces used instead of money.
A pillow - swag bag or suffocation
A weighty book - pressed flowers or a book with the last page torn out
And finally the costume:
A wedding dress - with blood or semen stains
A brigadier guard - in a situation where uniforms are not a good idea
Lots of socks - I love it! but can't think of much to say. All the socks you ever lost in the laundry perhaps?
BTW I've heard that there are weekend challenges like this where groups of people take part and you show your work on the Sunday evening when it's judged and awarded prizes. Do you know how I find out about this?
Good luck!
------------------
Imagination is more
important than knowledge
- Einstein
-
October 14th, 2001, 12:24 PM
#9
Inactive Member
Okay, just an ickle update. We've made the film- and now I am getting some well deserved rest. The selection in the end was a chess set, lots of socks and left of the centre. It turned out to be an extremely fun challenge and we got it done with 4 hours to spare. Okay we could of done a little more ironing on it, but it was pretty damn good by those 20 hours. And we were all so tired by the end, and editor was dying from a cold- and the fumes of the room that had just been varnished. It was a very relaxed and pleasent atmosphere and we even managed to sneak in 2 trips to the pub and a big slap up meal from a local restuarant. It was filmmaking in mini. Even the actors were mini. Lets just say it was another triumph for KHY animatronics.
The screening on thursday was also pretty cool, my second film which was only in rough cut form didn't go down too well. But my first film got a big clap and was choosen by some international filmmakers to go into the competition today. Only for local films- but it's a start. It's probaly screening around now- but I am oo tired to go. The director of the second film was obviously really disapointed but I think he will survive and grow stronger for it.
I had great fun yesterday and can't wait to see the reaction of the auidence. And especially the reaction of the festival organiser- dont think it's anything like what she was expecting,
anyway gonna get some rest before the screening tonigh
Kathy
------------------
-
October 15th, 2001, 11:32 AM
#10
Inactive Member
Laughter, clapping, cheering and a few nervous giggles- the film seemed to go down pretty well. Even the festival organisers seemed to like it. Didn't get signed onto a major film deal or anything like- but then again the film was called 'Sock Horror' 
K
------------------
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks